CLAIRE’S SUPER QUIZ 2005!
Warm-up question #1: Who are the following people?
St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. Philip Neri, St. Vincent De Paul, St. Francis De Sales, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Charles Borromeo
A. The Catholic Informers
B. The Catholic Performers
C. The Catholic Reformers
Click Here for Answer
Warm-up question #2: Truth or Myth: The first Christians did not use images of Christ or the saints.
OK, Now you are ready for the Super Quiz. Good luck!
1. All of the following men were Catholic priests except for one. Which one was NOT a Catholic priest?
A. St. Patrick (387-461 A.D)
St. Augustine (354-450 A.D.)
C. St. Francis of Assisi (1181-1286 A.D.)
D. St. Thomas Aquinas
E. St. Anselm (died 1109 A.D.)
F. St. Irenaeus (125-202 A.D.).
G. St. Ignatius (born 50 A.D.)
H. St. Athanasius (296-397 A.D.)
I. St. Jerome (340-420 A.D.)
J. St. Clement of Rome (died c. 100 A.D.)
2. According to St. Augustine, where do we commemorate the souls of dead believers?
B. at the altar of the Mass
3. St. Jerome said he would accept a man who was:
A. Joined to
the chair of Peter
B. Joined to one wife
4. Which bishop was regarded as having primacy in the early Church?
A. The bishop
B. The bishop of Rome
C. The bishop of Milan
5. According to St. Irenaeus, why should everybody agree with the Church in Rome?
6. St. Cyprian of Carthage, a Bishop in the Early Church, wrote that there was only one what?
B. One priesthood
C. One reformation
7. According to St. Cyprian of Carthage in 251 A.D., what must one do in order to be confident that one is in the Church?
1. be in union
with the Chair of Peter (i.e. pope)
2. be in union with one’s Bible study leader
8. The apostles St. Peter and St. Paul organized the Church in Rome. Where did John Calvin set up his new religion in the 16th Century?
B. Venice, Italy
C. Madrid, Spain
9. John Calvin has the distinction of being the first person ever to do what?
A. Leave the
B. Claim that a true Christian could not lose salvation
10. Martin Luther wrote that Mary was “_____________.”
A. “a common sinner”
B. “entirely without sin”
11. All of the following are true except one. Which is NOT true about St. Augustine?
A. He was a Catholic priest
B. He was a Catholic bishop
C. He was a Catholic monk
D. He founded a Catholic monastery
E. He helped manage a convent of nuns
F. His father died a pagan
12. Which of the following is TRUE about Anselm of Canterbury?
A. He was a
B. He was a Catholic monk
C. He was the Catholic Archbishop of Canterbury
D. He was a Catholic saint and Doctor of the Catholic Church
E. He fought schism (separation from the Catholic Church)
F. He testified to the supremacy of the Roman Pontiff
G. All of the above
13. After a difficult spiritual struggle, St. Augustine surrendered himself to Christ fully, and pledged what?
to public television
b. allegiance to the African flag
c. chastity until death
14. According to St. Augustine, what was religious life (life of nuns, monks, priests) based on?
15. What does St. Augustine ponder in his book “Gift of Perseverance”?
16. What was one thing condemned by the Council of Carthage in 252 A.D.?
A. the idea that newborns had to wait a week to get baptized
B. forehead baptism
17. Truth or Myth: The Catholic Church burned Bibles to prevent believers from reading the Word of God.
A. A. Truth
B. B. Myth
18. To what practice was St. Augustine referring when he declared: “For the whole Church observes this practice which was handed down by the Fathers.”
A. Praying and giving alms for the dead
B. Praying for the living
19. According to St. Augustine, God does not need our cooperation to create us, but he DOES need our cooperation to do what?
A. to justify us
B. to punish us
20. St. Augustine said that all of the following things (except one) keep him in the Catholic Church. Which one should NOT be on the list?
B. the Church’s miracles
C. the Church’s age
D. the name “Catholic”
E. the succession of priests, connecting back to Peter
F. the five solas
21. Which of the following was believed by St. Augustine?
A. each sin deserves an equal penance
B. more wicked sins deserve harsher penances
22. According to St. Augustine, what has the Catholic Church always possessed?
A. “the crown of beauty”
B. “the crown of royalty”
C. “the crown of teaching authority”
23. In the year 156 A.D., what did Christians of the Church of Smyrna say were “more valuable than precious stones”?
A. the bones of the deceased bishop of Smyrna
B. the writings of the deceased bishop of Smyrna
24. In 253 A.D., St. Cyprian of Carthage wrote that “sinners may do _________ for a set time.”
A. crossword puzzles
B. nothing in particular
25. Who developed a symbolic interpretation of the Eucharist?
A. Mr. Zwingli (16th century Reformer)
B. St. Augustine ( 4th-5th century Church Doctor)
26. How did the Early Church view the idea that all sins were equal?
A. Heresy of the Stoics
B. Heresy of Nestorians
C. Heresy of the Donatists
Back to www.StillCatholic.com
Quick Links: Catholic Encyclopedia, Bible, Catechism, Catechism by Topic, Jesus Christ, Vatican Web Site, Catholic Answers, Vatican Radio, U.S. Bishops, Saints, Catholic News Service, Catholic World News, Zenit (Pope News), Catholic Blogs, Catholic Information Network, St. Peter, Patron Saints, Church Fathers, St. Augustine, The 21 Ecumenical Councils, Eternal World Television Network (EWTN), Catholic Almanac, Our Sunday Visitor, Ignatius Press, Tan Books, Google News, Doctors of the Catholic Church, Ave Maria Singles, Mass Times.org, Marriage Encounter, Today's Mass Readings, Scripture and Tradition, Movie Reviews, Real Presence Association, Eucharist, Order of the Mass, Church History, Catholic Reformation, Annulments, Natural Family Planning, Catholic Apologetics, How to Say the Rosary, the Seven Sacraments, Lent, Purgatory, Heaven, Hell, Catholic Colleges, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Padre Pio, St. Francis of Assisi, Pope John Paul II, Pope Benedict XVI, Catholic Distance University, St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology, Dr. Scott Hahn, Jimmy Akin, Michael Dubruiel, Amy Welborn, Catholic Exchange, Catholic Apologetics Network, Biblical Evidence for Catholicism, Catholic Apologetics Links, Catholic Apologetics (Coronum), Scripture Catholic, Catholic Theology Articles, Theology Library, National Catholic Bioethics Center, Catholic Culture, Summa Theologica, Confessions, City of God, G.K. Chesterton, Existence of God, Still Catholic
Back to www.StillCatholic.com